Translate

Translate

Friday 2 August 2013

Show Me What You're Working With

 The excitement of waking up and applying a mask of makeup to start your day, is a dreaded task to most women. I am one of those women. However after beginning in luxury retail, it has become my morning ritual. After many weeks of experimenting with sparkles and dramatic looks that would make a drag queen cringe in disappointment, I decided to go back to basics with my regime. A full face of makeup is promoted in most fashion based careers, however making it last from 9 to 5 is a whole other dilemma.Below are two versatile looks that I use day to day.

The Statement Lip Look
When it comes to early morning makeup, I choose to prioritize by focusing on one area of my face...and making it look fabulous. Laziness or Genius? The debate is up to you.....The great part about the statement lip is its ability to bring all the focus to your lips. A strong pink or red tone will brighten up your look especially if your skin is lacking color and brightness (Such as after a night out ;)). Hollywood, by Laura Mercier does the trick for me, as it is a classic shade of red. I would recommend going with a matte skin look in order to not look overdone and also with a complimentary blush shade. To achieve this look, I use a base of Missha BB cream followed by Laura Mercier Mineral Powder. Both products feel very light on your skin, however they provide lasting coverage as they blend naturally into my skin. When it comes to eyes, I usually keep it low key. I will use my darkest shade of mascara by Lise Watier called 24 Hours Glam Mascara as the color holds all day and its semi waterproof so it doesn't drip and make me look like a hot mess. Thereafter, I top it off with some eyeliner, and use a primer (Laura Mercier Eye Canvas) and a neutral eyeshadow tone. Sometimes I will use a white shimmer eye liner, such as Lise Watier's Eye Shine in White, on my inner lids to make my eyes look bigger. Recently, I have been mixing a  loose eye shadow powder and vaseline for a dewy look. Also a loose powder illuminator (Laura Mercier Mineral Illuminating Powder in Starlight)  or illuminating moisturizer can do the trick. The last step to my makeup regime is lightly shading and gelling my eyebrows (Maybelline Great Lash), as I find that I look bottom heavy on my face since I steer clear of most heavy eye makeup. I like this look as it remains natural and manageable throughout the day but also makes a statement with the pop of lip color.


The Ever Evolving Cat Eye

The cat eye is the best trick in the book when it comes to getting that "I put effort into this masterpiece" look. There is not one way to do a cat eye and one can basically cater a look to their eye shape. It can also be exaggerated or worn with low key makeup. The key is to practice, practice, practice. After a couple days you will no doubt be a pro. Trust me. I have failed. A lot. I like to apply my cat eye first with a liner pen (Lise Watier Feline Eyliner HD), then trace over it with Fluidliner by MAC with an eyeliner brush. I have a shaky hand, so this method is golden for me. You can achieve the doll look by applying a thin line of eyeliner underneath your eye.If you are having an adventurous morning, as I have most days at the crack of dawn, add some color to create some contrast with the dark liner. I usually stick to Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in shimmer based colors such as Oyster. This method directs the focus to your eyes, so therefore you can keep your makeup pretty neutral. Adding a light veil of bronzer or a blush and lip color that compliments your skin tone completes this look. In my opinion, a staple in your beauty kit is to find a daily lip shade that is similar to your lip color that you can wear during daytime hours (There's a reason why there is night and day makeup).

Here is a list of the products that I use on the daily to achieve a "smart" dress work look:

Look #1.
Laura Mercier Creme Smooth lip Colour in Hollywood   ($26.00)
Missha M Perfect  Cover BB Cream SPF 42 PA+++   ($29.99)

Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15  ($36.00)
Lise Watier 24hrs Glam Mascara   ($23.00)
Laura Mercier Eye Canvas  ($23.00)
Lise Watier Eye Shine Eyeliner  ($18.00)
Laura Mercier Mineral Illuminating Powder in Starlight ($26.00)
MAC Strobe Cream (Illuminator)  ($23.00)
Maybelline Great Lash  ($2.99) 

Look #2.
Lise Watier Feline Eyliner HD  ($19.00)
MAC Fluidline Blitz and Glitz   ($15.00)
Laura Mercier Caviar Stick  ($19.00)


Well, that is my opinion and advice on day looks for work. You don't have have to live and die by these rules, but its a good starting point. If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to voice your thoughts in the comment box below.

.........Now back to work, work, work ;)
 xx C.Hastings

No comments:

Post a Comment